About: Maurizio Petrelli
I am a Researcher in Petrology at the Department of Physics and Geology, University of Perugia. I attended the University of Perugia graduating with honour in Geology. In February 2006 I attained my PhD degree discussing a thesis entitled “Non-Linear Dynamics in Magma Interaction Processes and Their Implications on Magma Hybridization”. This work received an award from the Società Italiana di Mineralogia e Petrologia (SIMP) as the best PhD Thesis in Petrology for the year 2006. I focus my research on the characterization of magmatic systems with particular emphasis on the dynamics and time-scales of magmatic plumbing systems. Since 2002, I’ve carried out an intense laboratory work mainly focused on the development of analytical protocols for Laser Ablation Inductively Coupled Plasma Mass Spectrometry (LA-ICP-MS). Currently, I lead the research group for the application of Machine Learning techniques in geology, and I am the scientific manager of the LA-ICP-MS laboratory @UNIPG
Dept. of Physics and Geology
University of Perugia
06123 PERUGIA (IT)
- Petrelli M., Zellmer G.F., (in press). Rates and Timescales of Magma Transfer, Storage, Emplacement, and Eruption. In Dynamic Magma Evolution (Francesco Vetere Editor), Geophysical Monograph Series, 254, American Geophysical Union and Wiley.
- Petrelli, M., El Omari, K., Spina L.,Le Guer, Y., La Spina G., Perugini, D. (2018) – Timescales of water accumulation in magmas and implications for short warning times of explosive eruptions. Nature Communications, doi:10.1038/s41467-018-02987-6
- Petrelli, M., Bizzarri R., Morgavi D., Baldanza A., Perugini D. (2017) – Combining machine learning techniques, microanalyses and large geochemical datasets for tephrochronological studies in complex volcanic areas: New age constraints for the Pleistocene magmatism of central Italy. Quaternary Geochronology, doi: 10.1016/j.quageo.2016.12.003.
- Petrelli, M., Perugini, D. (2016) – Solving petrological problems through machine learning: the study case of tectonic discrimination using geochemical and isotopic data. Contributions to Mineralogy and Petrology, doi: 10.1007/s00410-016-1292-2.
- Petrelli, M., El Omari, K., Le Guer, Y., Perugini, D. (2016) – Effects of chaotic advection on the timescales of cooling and crystallization of magma bodies at mid crustal levels. Geochemistry, Geophysics, Geosystems,doi:10.1002/2015GC006109
- Petrelli M., Perugini D. & Poli G. (2011) – Transition to Chaos and Implications for Time-Scales of Magma Hybridization During Mixing Processes in Magma Chambers, Lithos, 125, 211-220.
The Petrograph 2 installer can be downloaded from ResearchGate.
Please note that Petrograph is not currently developed and support is not provided.