About: Maurizio Petrelli
I am Researcher in Petrology at the Department of Physics and Geology, University of Perugia. I attended the University of Perugia graduating with honor in Geology. In February 2006 I attained my Ph.D. degree discussing a thesis entitled “Non-Linear Dynamics in Magma Interaction Processes and Their Implications on Magma Hybridization”. This work received an award from the Società Italiana di Mineralogia e Petrologia (SIMP) as the best Ph.D. Thesis in Petrology for the year 2006. I focus my research on the characterization of magmatic systems with particular emphasis on magma mixing and time-scales of magma interaction. Since 2002, I’ve carried out an intense laboratory work mainly focused on the development of analytical protocols for laser ablation mass spectrometry. I am currently the head of the research group for the application of Machine Learning techniques in petrology, and I am the scientific manager of the LA-ICP-MS laboratory @UNIPG
Phone: +39 075 585 2607
Dept. of Physics and Geology
University of Perugia
06123 PERUGIA (IT)
- Petrelli, M., El Omari, K., Spina L.,Le Guer, Y., La Spina G., Perugini, D. (2018) – Timescales of water accumulation in magmas and implications for short warning times of explosive eruptions. Nature Communications, doi:10.1038/s41467-018-02987-6
- Petrelli, M., Bizzarri R., Morgavi D., Baldanza A., Perugini D. (2017) – Combining machine learning techniques, microanalyses and large geochemical datasets for tephrochronological studies in complex volcanic areas: New age constraints for the Pleistocene magmatism of central Italy. Quaternary Geochronology, doi: 10.1016/j.quageo.2016.12.003.
- Petrelli, M., Perugini, D. (2016) – Solving petrological problems through machine learning: the study case of tectonic discrimination using geochemical and isotopic data. Contributions to Mineralogy and Petrology, doi: 10.1007/s00410-016-1292-2.
- Petrelli, M., El Omari, K., Le Guer, Y., Perugini, D. (2016) – Effects of chaotic advection on the timescales of cooling and crystallization of magma bodies at mid crustal levels. Geochemistry, Geophysics, Geosystems,doi:10.1002/2015GC006109
- Petrelli M., Perugini D. & Poli G. (2011) – Transition to Chaos and Implications for Time-Scales of Magma Hybridization During Mixing Processes in Magma Chambers, Lithos, 125, 211-220.
The Petrograph 2 installer can be downloaded from ResearchGate.
Please note that Petrograph is not currently developed and support is not provided.